Thursday, April 24, 2008

Week 2 Subliminal Messaging

I started to do more research during English class again. Using the keywords 'Subliminal Messaging" brought me to a dead end so i used 'subliminal messaging facts' and I actually got a larger variety of sites. Some of them were kinda of faint on information but a few worked out good. I even answered one of my original questions "Is subliminal messaging legal?".

I found out that in America "Not much is being done to curb the use of subliminal messages in advertising and daily use." ("Legal Issues") The Federal Communications Commission says that even if subliminal messaging does work, it is irrelevant because their broadcasts are intended to be deceptive. This makes sense to me because I don't see how they could really accuse someone of it's use. People don't even realize if they've heard a subliminal message. And what if it was accidental?

All people tend to act differently to subliminal messages. I think that it makes sense because like most things, our personalities, attitudes, upbringing, and thinking patterns all influence us in different ways. One person might have problems that they are trying to resolve, making their subconscious minds to busy to catch a hidden message. ("Does Subliminal Messaging Work?") But another person free of worries and thought would almost definitely receive the message on a subconscious level. I learned a lot from this research and will continue to search for answers for my original questions.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Legal Issues." umich.edu 25 04 2008 . http://www.umich.edu/~onebook/pages/tablepages/history.html

"Does Subliminal Messaging Work?." guide-to-self-help-techniques.com 24 04 2008 . http://www.guide-to-self-help-techniques.com/subliminal-messaging.html

No comments: