Friday, April 18, 2008

Athletes Turning Pro - Week 1(Edited)

For the first part of my research project I sat in Mr. Malleys room and did most of my research there. I haven't really started to work on it at home. I began to look for any other articles that may have attempted to answer my question, "Should athletes turn pro without a college education"?. Originally, it was kind of difficult to find others' findings because I had to pick the writing wording. First I tried "athletes turning pro" and I just kept getting..well...atheletes getting signed. Then I tried "going pro right out of highschool" and I learned that there was a law out, recently, that no longer allows that. Eventually, I found the right wording, "going pro without college education" and things got easier.

First off, I found specific names of players that went straight to pro teams that I never knew did. Players like Lebron James, Kevin Garnett and Tracy McGrady. (Chylinksi) Also, I already knew that being a young player in a pro world could be physically difficult with muscle strains, broken bones and career ending injuries, but never took into concideration how it could have an effect on you mentally at such a young age. (Chylinksi) Your schedule would be pretty packed, you may suffer from lack of sleep, you might have less time to spend with family and just remember your younger.. those are the things you are supposed to get alot of at the age of 17, 18 or 19. Also, it just gets worse when you get into the championships of your sport.

I'm probably going to start looking into more sources and use this "infotrac" and see what it's about this next week. Until then...




--------------------------------------------
Chylinski, Patrick. "Preps to the Pros." insidehoops.com 03 07 2003 21 04 2008 .

No comments: