Thursday, May 8, 2008

Week 4 Subliminal Advertising

I began my last research post in English class again. I can't wait until this class is over because its Friday, but I will continue to do my work anyways. I stumbled across a site when I clicked on a link from one of my previous citations. The site was basically the same as a summary of all my research posts. It even answered another one of my questions "Can subliminal messages be used as just a joke?" Sutherland states "these things are motivated often by boredom or a need for self-expression and a practical joke. It is very easy for someone to put something in an ad, a movie or wherever – and it usually goes undetected." (Subliminal Advertising, Like Energizer...) That makes sense to me because if I was designing an ad, I would want to make it more appealing with a joke or hidden message, even if everyone won't realize it.

I couldn't get videos to work on the computer I was using during study hall, but I did come across a few video messages that were explained in writing. In the Disney movie The Lion King, the letters S-E-X are formed by a swirling cloud of dust. Some believe that it was slipped into the frames by the special effects group abbreviating it into 'S F X'. I think that it was probably the the special effects people just putting their tag in the movie like a 12 year old would. Disney edited the frame out of the movie because of public opinion.

Another instance is in The Rescuers, a photographic picture of a naked woman can be seen in the background. This one is definitely true because Disney recalled the home video version in 1999. Disney is accused of having alot of subliminal messages in their movies. In the movie Aladdin, the Jeanie can be heard saying "Good teenagers, take off your clothes"(John). I have listened to the movie clip and I think that it sounds like hes saying that, but I guess you can't be sure. I think this was a productive search overall and was a bit more interesting because I explained instances that people may have missed during the movies explained.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sutherland, Max. " Subliminal Advertising, Like Energizer Bunny, Just Keeps Going… and Going.." Advertising and the Mind of the Consume May 2007 09 May 2008 . http://www.sutherlandsurvey.com/Column_pages/subliminal_advertising.html

"The Rescuers." Snopes.com 21 08 2007 13 May 2008 .
http://www.snopes.com/Disney/films/rescuers.asp

John, Trevor. "Disney Subliminal Messages - Are They For Real?." EzineArticles 01 September 2007. 13 May 2008 .

1 comment:

clare990 said...

SARA!!!
Yeah I feel the same way. When you put a joke into an ad sometimes it makes people read it or watch it on purpose. I do that sometimes, just for the laugh. That's funny with the Rescuers and the Lion King, I'm going to go find that later.
Good Stuff, I never thought of this until you brought it up.