Friday, May 16, 2008

Final Reflection - Age Restrictions for Pro Sports

So this past month has been long and tedious. I changed my question almost 10 times and I feel like my question is one that I could have answered better. As the days went by, I also realized that my question probably was more opinion based than factual based, which also made it harder than I thought it would be to answer. On the other hand, I became more and more interested in the subject as I saw the different points that were brought up by other people.

My opinion from the start was that age restrictions on going pro at a young age were unreasonable. My opinion stays the same but as I did my research, I found that most people agreed with me. If you have the skills and ability to play at 18, 19, 20 years old, you should be allowed to. As long as you understand the risks you are taking, nothing should be in your way.

During the search, I found out that some players that I watch today in the NBA and the NHL were drafted as young as 18 years old. A few pro sport leagues do have restrictions on the age that people can enter the sport, but it's not much, so what's the point of having it at all? Also, like I said before, these players could be the most exciting players around.

The one thing I couldn't find any information on is if a young person would be able to handle all of the financial aspects of it. But, I guess that if they want to play like a pro or someone that should be 20 years old, they would have to learn how to manage their money like one.

I'm going to college at Medaille for Sports Management. Hopefully, this research will help me with my future endeavors. I think I want to possibly try and change this rule. In any case, this information was very interesting to find out.

What are your opinions? Do you think you would be able to manage that kind of money at 18? Wisely? Should there be an age restriction? Do you know anyone that has the ability and skill to go pro at 18 or 19 years old?

No comments: